Brandford Adobaw

Brandford Adobaw

Posted On October 24, 2016
Categories STEM, STEM Scholar

After hearing his sister recite her mnemonics for the first 20 elements of the periodic table over and over again, Brandford was curious to know everything about these so-called elements. As a fourth grader at Akuse International School in Ghana, he was anxious as to when he could study the elements and all the fascinating subatomic particles. He got his chance in sixth grade when he learned his first chemical equation – the reaction for photosynthesis in green plants – and he hasn’t looked back since. He continued his education at Labone Secondary School in Accra, Ghana, where he majored in Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Elective Mathematics. Brandford migrated to the United States in 2009 and attended Campbell High School in Smyrna, GA.

About coming to Georgia State, Brandford had this to say, “I had never visited the school or researched much about it, but when it came to ‘Apply to College Day’ at Campbell, Georgia State was the first school I applied to. Believe it or not, the first time I ever visited here was when I came to take my Chemistry placement exam. Georgia State has been the absolute perfect fit for me. I still can’t lay my hands on what it is that makes me so happy here, maybe it’s the amazing opportunities in the Chemistry Department and Honors College. I had a chance to join a research group just before the end of my freshman year, which has given me the opportunity to use what I learn from my classes in practical ways.”

In the Summer of 2013, Brandford participated in the National Institute of Health (NIH) funded Heart Lung and Blood program as part of the Life Science Summer Undergraduate Research Program at the University of Minnesota. He is currently a junior and will be graduating in the spring of 2015 with the intention of obtaining an MD/PhD, and specialize in treating children with congenital heart defects.